Reproducible Research on the Web: From Homework, Blogging to Open Journals
Yihui Xie, Iowa State University
2013/02/28 @ SIAM CSE13, Boston
Changing just a tiny little bit in my LaTeX tabular
Why struggle with something not essential?
- LaTeX is only one possible authoring tools
- to be clear, I love LaTeX, but it is not for everybody
- see my blog posts here and here later
Two components of a research report (or homework, paper, book, …)
- the authoring tool
- the computing tool
One possible combination
But we do not copy and paste results
- integrate code into documents
- the value of π is
`r pi` instead of 3.14
Automate, automate, automate
- this is how you/your students should turn in homework
- authoring: die, Word, die!!
- computing: die, Excel, die!!
Why the web?
- easier to write content
- no page limit
- better display of code (think straight quotes and
middle tilde in
A Github/Markdown-based Journal?
- I also worked hard on integrating LaTeX with R, but I only introduced R Markdown in this talk
- reproducible research should be easy enough to get started
- enjoy the web